Friday, December 11, 2009

"I can resist anything but temptation."

I have acquired a new treasure. Happy dance!!

It was a limited edition lace-weight offering from Earthfaire, and despite the famous quip from Oscar Wilde in the subject heading above, it will probably prove to be my last significant yarn purchase of the year: Fiesta Yarns Gracie's Lace (70% extra-fine merino, 15% silk, 15% cashmere) in a luscious colorway called "Cranberry Crush" that was specifically designed and hand-painted for the 2009 holiday season.

Of course, my attention was first grabbed by the striking combination of rich, yummy colors (rosy cranberry, golden cinnamon/russet, dusky violet, and cypress green), as well as the reference to mulled cider in Ellen's typically evocative description on the website. I am always a sucker for food-talk over the holidays!! But honestly, it was the cashmere content that persuaded me not to let this one go, because I knew I would live to regret it. And of course there are 965 irresistible yards in a single 100 g skein.

I placed my order last Tuesday (i.e. two days before Thanksgiving). There were only a handful of skeins to begin with. I believe I was the first to grab one, and I am very glad to have acted when I did, because the others are already gone. The package was shipped on Friday, and to my great pleasure it arrived in *today's* mail. What a wonderful surprise on a cold & blustery Monday!!

After taking some pictures of the unwound hank, I got out the swift and wound it right away, just to see how the colors would blend. Here are the results.

Click on any of these images to take a closer look. This is a real *stunner*, n'est-ce pas? :-)

The next step, naturally, will be to choose the perfect lace pattern. I don't have anything specific in mind just yet, but I will definitely be on the lookout. Whatever I choose, the garment will have to be something versatile, because this is one I will want to WEAR. Often.

No comments:

Post a Comment