Saturday, August 13, 2011

Oak Grove mitts

I grew up in a house surrounded by woods and adjacent to this CT state park. Many of the biggest trees there are mighty oaks, and so I have developed a fondness for oak leaves and acorns as decorative motifs, because they remind me of home.

That's what attracted me to Anna Dalvi's Oak Grove Mitts pattern, which features a beautifully embossed oak leaf, framed by a pointed arch, on the back of each hand. For this special project I treated myself to a single skein of Sanguine Gryphon Bugga! (70% superwash merino / 20% cashmere / 10% nylon) in a colorway called Arachne, which is basically an autumnal mix of deep red, russet, and brown. It was a quick knit on 2.5 mm (US size 1+) dpn's. At the tight gauge, and for my little hands, I used up only ~125 yards. These mitts fit snugly at the wrists, without impeding the movement of my fingers, which makes them ideally suited for riding in the car or sitting in a chilly house and knitting, reading, typing at the computer, or whatever. And the best part is that I still have enough Bugga! left over for a pair of socks. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment