Thursday, June 25, 2009

Entrelac, entre nous -- mais oui!!

Well... I made a swatch for the entrelac turtleneck this afternoon, and proved to my satisfaction that I can get the required gauge without having to change needle sizes from what the pattern specifies, and that entrelac really will suit the hand-painted yarn perfectly and accomplish all my various goals for this project. I used a single skein for the swatch, of course, so the sample does not show what the mixture of colors & tones will eventually look like, but at least you can see that the yarn and the pattern seem to like each other.

FABULOUS.

I have also wound all the skeins now, and determined that I can group them by color into four categories. There is one especially pale creamy one, three alike that have the creamy background with blue & green leaning more toward pastel, two alike that are mainly light blue as opposed to cream, and three alike that seem to emphasize the darker shades of blue and green. So I will base my color scheme on those ratios (1, 3, 3, 2).

What a difference a day or two can make!! When this week started, I still had a great big pile of lovely yarn and only vague, incohate ideas about what to do with it. Now I have the ideal pattern, a definite game-plan, and every reason to expect that I will start seeing results sooner rather than later. Woohoo!!

2 comments:

  1. Could you tell us in which issue of VK your entrelac turtle-neck lurks? Or is it a secret? I love the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no secret. I just neglected to mention it. Sorry about that!!

    It's pattern #11 in the Winter 1991/92 issue of Vogue Knitting, and was (I gather) reprinted a few years later in the book _Designer Knits_ (c. 1998). It's a DKNY design.

    And if you think you love the yarn just from looking at pictures, you should *touch* this stuff. Amazing! Some of the softest wool I've ever handled. That's how I knew right away that it would make the ultimate cuddle sweater, and why I wanted a yummy turtleneck to be cozy in.

    Cheers,
    MRPP

    ReplyDelete