Sunday, January 10, 2010

Possibly the cutest thing *EVER*, Part II

Remember the adorable little bunny stitch markers that I got this summer?

Well... I have recently acquired another set from the same source: pelicans!! Two white and two brown. Click on the image to take a closer look.

It turns out that the friendly lady at Wee Ones on Etsy (whose name is Jillian, by the way; check out her story here) takes special orders. Because of my maiden name — Pelikan, with a "k" — I grew up surrounded by artistic representations of these majestic (but admittedly rather silly) water birds in various media. Photographs, paintings, prints, a mosaic, sculptures small and large in wood, glass, crystal, ceramics, and various metals.... I even met Petros, the famous mascot of the Greek island of Mykonos on my travels. So when I learned that Jillian would be willing to tackle the challenge of reproducing these birds in miniature, to accompany my knitting, I simply could not resist putting her up to it. We went back & forth a bit as she worked out the design to my specifications, and the Final Four here arrived just in time for Christmas. I think she did a FANTASTIC job. They are wonderfully round and companionable critters!!

And of course there's always the poem by Ogden Nash, which seems like a good way to achieve closure, after a fashion:

A wonderful bird is the pelican,
His bill can hold more than his beli-can.
He can take in his beak
Food enough for the week;
But I'm damned if I see how the heli-can.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ogden Nash I remember him well...."smile"
    I think it is sad that they don't teach poetry in school now. memorization is an excellent brain tool. I still remember parts of the "Highwayman" and the "Jabberwocky" ..then again my brain is filled with trivia but not where I put my keys after work. Love the
    peli-cans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put, Susan!! My parents and grandparents learned all sorts of wonderful poetry and knew it by heart because they had to recite it in school, but then there was a sea-change in education and the idea of learning things "by rote" became anathema all of a sudden. I have nothing against teaching students to be creative and think for themselves, etc., but when they arrive at college unable to memorize anything simply because they have never learned how, it *really* hampers them. There's so much information that they simply have to master!! So I do my best to give them practice with the skills that they need for college, but it's hard when you're trying to make up for lost time. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete